Wednesday 8 October 2014

The Traveller Model by Jools x WWS


This is the new 7'4" Wild West Shooter Single Fin 'Traveller' Model (working title). This has been beautifully hand shaped by Jools and finished in white opaque resin at Gulfstream surfboards. This is a perfect example of custom craftsmanship, it's super fast, super responsive, it likes a bit if size, paddles with ease and overall, right now, I'm stoked. 

The idea has alway been to add a really refined midlength singlefin to the existing Wild West Shooters like the 9'8" and the 8'2" Models.  The 8'2" is a solid bundle of fun and those that have ridden one, swear by its versatility and function, but there was room for a slightly shorter, possibly perfect travel board for those of us wanting a little more length and float, lets be honest here, the Chunky Brother!! 

I personally wanted a board to put on the racks of the Suzuki Van Van and travel a little bit of France, knowing that one simple board could pretty much surf everything I would likely encounter within reason. I had planned on heading off later this month it looks more likely to be Spring 2015 due to my Fathers 90th Birthday getting in the way( so selfish Dad!!) but it will happen. 

As a man of the larger variety (read: Chunky Brother) I wanted a board to feel comfortable, stable and fun, a board I can run into the garage grab and know that I'm going not going to struggle on when trying out paddle frothing grommets when the waves get a little punchy. Having surfed the board last weekend in some overhead beach break conditions here at Sennen, comfort is what I got. 

On a personal board gatherers note, having a slightly transitional look, when I put the 'Traveller' in my racks in the garage it fits perfectly amongst my other boards in what is essentially a timeline quiver of shapes from mid 60's style logs to 70's twinnie, eggs, and down railed single fin. Basically, it fits perfectly.   

I'll keep you posted the more its ridden but so far so good and feels like a real bundle of fun under my feet. When I spoke to Jools a couple of days ago to give him some initial feedback he was stoked and thinking of doing some more. I can see this board working in all sizes and sub 7' would be great fun too. If you like what you see give Jools a shout or drop me a line. Also keep your eye peeled for a new log coming soon, and this is really exciting.  Thanks Jools for another beauty. 

No comments: